It’s freezing cold in Japan this month, but it’s the season of root vegetables 🙂
Today I introduce how to cook Ume Gobo.
Gobo is burdock root and it doesn’t look like vegetable, but it has special flavor and I love it!
The flavor is right under the skin, so you can’t peel off the burdock.
You can use brush to wash it well or use back of the knife to scrape it.
2 Ume (pickled plum)
2 Gobo ( burdock root)
1. Wash the gobo well. scrape the surface with brush or backward of the knife. Take out seed from Ume then pound the plum to make paste.
2. Cut the gobo into 3cm pieces, then fry it with vegetable oil for 5-10minutes.
3. Pour the water until half level of burdock root and place the plum raste , then place a lid. Simmer it for 20-30minutes with lower heat.
4. Remove the lid then keep cooking until all the liquid is gone.
5. Enjoy! 🙂 It’s nice with rice.
I love to use the leftovers for cooking deep fried burdock, with flour, egg and Panko 🙂