Okowa originally came from China, it’s steamed rice.
I love the texture anthe rich flavor, since we use a lot of Umami for it, and you can eat it as a snack if it’s Onigiri shape.
(it’s already seasoned)
I show you how to make no meat one, but please arrange different vegetable or meat (I think chicken or pork is nice) 🙂
3 rice cups of Japanese sticky rice (about 560cc)
2 medium carrot, diced
3 dried Shiitake, soaked in the water and sliced
1 cup of dried small shrimp
(A) 1 Tbs. sugar
(A) 3 Tbs. soy sauce
(A) 2 Tbs. Sake
1 cup of water (which is used for soaking dried mushroom)
– Soak the stiky rice with enough water for 1 hour in advance, then drain the water
– Soak the dried Shiitake in 300-400cc water for few hours in advance
2. When all the ingredients are almost cooked, add all the (A)s then cook for few minutes.
3. In the other pan, place 2 Tbs. vegetable oil the pan-fry the sticky rice.
4. When the rice became clear, add alal the (2) and 1 cup of Dashi (from soaking the mushroom) then cook until all the liquid is gone.
5. Place all of them in a steamer then steam it for 20mins.
You can eat Okowa as rice, or it’s also nice to make Onigirg which is my favorite 🙂